Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Project Runway?

Maybe I've been watching too much TV (again), but after getting more and more frustrated with the trouser patterns I have (too wide, too baggy, random sizing, etc) it suddenly occurred to me that I should get a little bit Project Runway and make my own patterns.  I've only ever made stuff from pre-made patterns and not ventured down this crazy route before, so it was a wee bit of a leap, but hey ho, I'm nothing if not up for a challenge.  So I designed and made a pair of jeans for my 2 year old...

Now, they were not too bad, and the back was fabulous if I say so myself, but there was something about the front that reminded one of an old man wearing a catheter and bag.  It wasn't the look I'd been aiming for.  I could imagine Tim Gunn eyeing them up, tilting his head, putting on the frown and saying "Dianne, I'm worried.  Make it work!"

So I took them off my poor wee model, unpicked my front seam, and trimmed where I thought trimming was needed, then I got Doris The Overlocker back on the job and went for take 2.  And you know what, it worked!  On the second try!  And they looked good.  No, great!  I quickly altered the pattern I'd made, and got it ready to go into proper production for MooAndFlo 



This is the wee fella in said trousers - back view because he's not even slightly co-operative when modeling my wares.  He'd not stand a chance in Top Model (yes I watch that, too)

It may not sound like much - but to see children in clothes I make is exciting enough, but to see them in trousers I have also designed is Very Exciting Indeed :)

Now I've got to do the patten in other sizes and see how I go, but you know what, I'm inspired, I'm giddy, and can't wait to give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flo would love your feedback on the blog or the clothes